Donnerstag, 24. März 2011

Ich seh rot...

...oder besser gesagt: ziegelrot!
...or more suitable: brick-red!
(Interpretation 1810 Killerton House Pink Silk Dress)
Heute ist das Kleid für meine Freundin fertig geworden.
Als Vorlage diente das umwerfend farbenfrohe Seidenkleid von c. 1810 aus der Killerton House Sammlung aus dem Buch "The Art of Dress" von Jane Ashelford.
Leider gibt es nur diese eine Abbildung. Im Text wird außerdem erwähnt, dass das Vorderteil des Kleides wohl verändert wurde, die Rückansicht aber original ist.
Daraus ergaben sich zwei Überlegungen:
1. Bislang hatte ich noch keinen solchen Kragen in Kombination mit einem Rückenverschluß gesehen (die meisten Modekupfer zeigen leider meist nur eine Frontansicht)
2. Wie mag die Front ausgesehen haben
Today I completed the dress for my friend.
My inspiration was the amazingly colorful silkdress, c.1810, from the Killerton House Collection, which is shown in the book "The Art of Dress" by Jane Ashelford.
Unfortunately I could only find this single picture. Furthermore it's said in the book that the front of the dress has been altered, but the back remained original.
Thus I had the following points to ponder:
1. I've never seen the comibination of such a collar and a back fastening (most fashion plates do not reveal the backof a dress)
2. What would the front have looked like

Nach einigem Suchen, bin ich auf diesen Modekupfer von 1812 (Costume Parisien) gestoßen.
My search led me to a fashion plate from 1812 (Costume Parisien).

...und das kam schließlich dabei heraus:
...and eventually I had this:

Der Kragen ist einfacher gehalten als im Modekupfer und nimmt den gelben Faden an der Kante wieder auf.
The collar is plainer than the one of the fashion plate, and is stitched with the yellow thread shown in the original piece.

Das gefütterte Oberteil ist komplett mit der Hand genäht, die Innennähte des Rockteils habe ich ausnahmsweise über die Maschine gejagt.
Der sichtbare Faden ist ein helles Gelb
 und die vier Dorset Knöpfe habe ich mittels einer Mischung aus schwarzem Tee/ Kamillentee zu einem ähnlichen hellen Gelb gefärbt.
The lined bodice is completely hand sewn, the invisible seams on the skirt are for once machine sewn.
The visible thread is a pale yellow (cowslip). The four Dorset buttons are dyed to the same yellow with a mixture of Assam Tea/Camomile Tea.




Kommentare:

  1. Oh, I knew exactly which dress the back was based on, but couldn't remember which book I'd seen it in.... Lovely job on the front, it's very pretty.

    AntwortenLöschen
  2. Dear Sabine,
    What a treat of a dress! Have not seen this sort of collar reproduced before; more power to you for making it a reality.

    It appears that the collar is one piece all the way around, correct? Might I ask with what stitch it is applied to the main bodice, and if it is lined with self fabric or lining fabric?

    Very best,
    Natalie

    AntwortenLöschen
  3. Thank you both:)
    @Natalie: the collar is lined with pale yellow cotton satin (matching the colour of the thread and buttons). I have piped the inner edge of the collar (this part is not shown in the book - so again it was up to my imagination) and then attached it to the bodice using prickstitch. It's one piece and it is attached all the way round.
    I have also decided on a very plain skirt...hopefully I'll manage to get some pictures of my friend wearing it soon.
    Sabine

    AntwortenLöschen
  4. What beautiful work, I loved the colour in the original dress & wondered what the front looked like now & what it could have been.

    AntwortenLöschen
  5. How beautiful! You recreated it so faithfully! ZUm Verwechseln ähnlich!

    AntwortenLöschen
  6. Thank you! Dankeschön!
    I only wish there would have been further photos of the original.
    Sabine

    AntwortenLöschen